Tools & Resources
Safety Management System
A comprehensive Safety Management System (SMS) ensures the health and safety of employees. The SMS helps organizations proactively identify and control hazards. A workplace safety culture cannot be achieved without an effective SMS.
AWARE-NS has developed a Safety Management System (SMS) of 13 elements, complete with program content, tools, templates and forms that will support the needs of the Nova Scotia Health and Community Services sectors.
For all information and learning tools related to Safety Management System please use the following links:
- Section 1: Commitment, Leadership and Participation
- Section 2: Hazard Management
- Section 3: Inspections
- Section 4: Incident Management
- Section 5: Emergency Preparedness
- Section 6: Training
- Section 7: Safe Work Practices/Job Procedures (under development)
- Section 8: Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee (updated)
- Section 9: Contractor Safety
- Section 10: Stay at Work/Return to Work
- Section 11: Communication
- Section 12: Documentation
- Section 13: Monitoring
Safe Handling and Mobility (SHM)
For information on the Safe Handling and Mobility initiatives, please use the following links:
Workplace Violence Prevention
For more information on the Workplace Violence Prevention program, please follow the link provided below.
Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee
For all information and learning tools related to JOHSC please use the following links:
- Rules of Procedure
- Terms of Reference
- JOHS Committee Effectiveness Checklist
- JOHSC Tip Sheet 1 – What should be on JOHS Committee Agenda?
- JOHSC Tip Sheet 2 – Tips to an effective JOHS Committee and Common Mistakes by Committee
- JOHSC Tip Sheet 3 – Typical Duties of a Committee
- JOHSC Tip Sheet 4 – Tips for JOHS Committee to set Annual Safety Goals
Community of Safe Practice
For all information and learning tools related to COSP please refer to their specific sections in our learning centre, or use the following links: